Tuesday, May 24, 2011

3 more days of school...

In three more days we will complete our second full year of homeschooling.  Grace is finishing second grade, and Lydia is finishing kindergarten.  While it isn't always easy, I can say without a doubt that I love homeschooling and wouldn't trade it for anything.  Of course, that may change in a year or two, but for now I am completely committed to teaching my children at home.

I thought I'd touch on some of the highlights of our year:

  • Reading The Wizard of Oz with the girls.  I had seen the movie several times, but never read the book.  We also read together The House on Pooh Corner, My Father's Dragon, and The Story of Dr. Dolittle among others.  I love snuggling on the couch with the girls for our read alouds!
  • Grace's perfect record in spelling - she made 100's on every spelling test this year.
  • Memorizing Psalm 23 as a family.
  • Watching Lydia read The Boxcar Children all on her own, the lightbulb finally turning on as she understood that she CAN read.
  • Art Fridays - We used Art with a Purpose by Rod and Staff publishers.  The lessons were simple and able to be done with common household items, and the girls looked forward eagerly to Fridays, not for the end of the week, but for their art lessons.
These are just a few that come to mind.  I'll spare you the not-so-great moments for now, but the positives have far outweighed the negatives, and I continue to love taking this journey with my kiddos!

0 comments:

Post a Comment